I have a vivid memory from the first School Committee meeting I attended after taking office in January of 2014. As I walked out of the Keith Community Room with a group of people, I joked "1 down, 47 to go." The School Committee meets at least once a month, and a member's term is four years, so the commitment is about 48 regular monthly meetings (plus more than a handful of special meetings, subcommittees, and budget sessions). That seemed like a lot of meetings and a lot of months, which was great for me because I was so excited to be there and knew I'd enjoy the journey.
Well, here we are, 42 months later, and the term that once seemed endless is nearing its end. I'm just as excited to be there as I was at my first meeting four years ago. I truly enjoy the work, and the opportunity to serve the city and the best interests of our students is an awesome honor. If there is a difference from four years ago, it's that I'm a way better School Committee member now. The learning curve for School Committee members is a steep one. Developing a strong base of knowledge in school policy and law, budget, personnel, facilities, transportation, is no easy task. Nor is building relationships with school and city leaders or creating a network of contacts throughout the city and state to stay informed on important issues. I've done that, and I'd like to continue to put it all to good use in service of our schools.
So with that in mind, we'll mount a strong campaign for re-election. We're getting the band back together. And we're already off and running.
- We held our first fundraiser in April (where many of you signed up to receive this newsletter in your e-mail. If you haven't, sign up here!)
- We put together this great new campaign website, joshamaral.com, complete with detailed stances on important issues, videos, pictures, everything. Check it out. Let me know what you think.
- We've ordered some printed materials and have more to come. Campaign signs will be out soon. Let me know if you'll support the campaign by putting one in your yard! Either e-mail me or sign up here.
- We've really tried to increase our Facebook presence and have added over 100 likes in the past week. Please like it if you haven't, share our posts, and invite your friends. This is the best way to get up-to-the-minute information about the schools and the campaign.
- Shown in the picture above, I submitted all the signatures we gathered to secure a place on the ballot this fall. We're in!
Stay tuned! There will be more to come. And as always, thank you for your support.